Skip to main content

BLOGGED: Scams in Korea

The beauty of South Korea cannot be questioned. Personally, I think that it’s one of the most beautiful places on Earth, even though I haven’t been there. However, immaculate beauty does not always equate perfection. South Korea still has its flaws, and as someone who wishes to travel to the country someday, it’s worth knowing these things.

Like in any other countries, there are cases of scamming in South Korea, particularly in Seoul. Here are some of the most usual con activities which tourists experience:

1.       Taxi Scam – We cannot deny that the taxi system in Korea is definitely reliable and efficient. But there are always exceptions, which especially position themselves outside Incheon Airport. The drivers will look like a casual driver, but in actuality, has no connections with any taxi service company. Chances are they will extort you money by bringing you around the city and then charge you with ridiculous amount in the end. What you should do then is to make sure that the taxi you’ve flagged has meters. Flat rate is 2,400won, and 100won is added per every 144 meters added or 35 seconds. When you flagged a deluxe taxi (black taxi), you’ll have to pay more. Also, the rate can be higher at night. I will be posting more about taxis in Korea soon.

2.      Dating website Scams – Online dating is quite usual in Korea, and with the presence of many social networking sites there like LINE and KakaoTalk, tourists are usually convinced to join the hype too. The scam here though is that some ‘possible partners’ are actually con artists who will befriend you, and then later on, ask you for loans. Many kind-hearted tourists fall for this, so to avoid this, better use common sense. Why would you lend money for someone you haven’t met yet, right?   

3.      Pojamangcha Scams – Pojamangcha are street food carts usually seen in shopping areas like Nandaemun and Dongdaemun. They sell local delicacies which are hailed as must-try foods when you go to Korea. However, some vendors can be quite offensive as they sell their products for ten times the original price. It’s not even just double pricing. To avoid this, you should have at least a brief idea as to how much everything is in Korea. Or if you don’t, just don’t buy anything from carts which do not display the prices of their products.


These are just three scam activities tourists might experience, and things you must know about before you fly to Korea . There are lots of ways to avoid these, but topping the list would probably be constant vigilance and the use of common sense. If you need help though, you can call the tourist complaint department at 02-735-0101. If you are fluent with Korean, you can call the police hotline directly at 112.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXO at New SM Entertainment Building

first photo from only5_yoonjae @ weibo New SM Entertainment Seollung-ro 190-gil, Chungdam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 강남구 청담동 선릉로190길 ) As far as I can remember, they have been using this building since the beginning of the year. I am just not sure though if it goes beyond that. Nevertheless, yeah, here's another building for SME where EXO is now commonly seen. It is quite easy to locate and definitely just a few steps away from Yeonsei Riverville .  RELATED: HOW TO BECOME AN SM TRAINEE? It's a pretty long walk but I think it's gonna be worth it if you really want to explore this part of Chungdam-dong. I mean, there are quite a number of shooting locations in the area which you may want to visit. :)

What is Wrong with Secretary Kim Filming Locations [IMAGE HEAVY!]

I know I have promised to ID Korean drama filming locations of another Korean drama but I just can't help it with this one. Entitled What's Wrong with Secretary Kim, it is a story of Lee Yongjun ( Park Seojun ), the egoistical and very self-centered vice chairman of the Yunmyung Group, and his secretary, Kim Miso ( Park Minyoung ). So the vice chairman had been very, very dependent on his secretary so when she decided to resign, it took him by surprise and all hell breaks loose. LOL The drama casted KPOP idols Kim Yewon (Jewelry) and Hwang Chansung (2PM) too and I think they're doing good in their current field. <3 I can't help but laugh everytime I see Chansung on my screen. Watch the drama to know why. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The whole story was apparently based on a manga and it's a must to watch this one. It has a light story, and will definitely make you wonder at some points. So it got me hooked easily. And when I get hooked, the locations should b...

[Roommate/룸메이트] The Glamorous House for Roommate

Roommate House 66 Daesagwan-ro, Seongbuk-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul 서울 성북구 성북동 대사관로 66 I am totally amazed with this house. I mean, I would love to have the same one! With Chanyeol and Dongwook in it, please! I'm loving the variety show. Frankly speaking, I am kinda worried about Chanyeol because of the rules but given everything that happened and are happening, I decided it was a good decision. I have concluded that I would rather see Yeol falling in love with one of the housemates than a news like what we had a week ago. LOL Anyway, here's the house, another reason to go on a tour to Seoul . It's definitely not easy to visit considering its location But if you're going there, drop me a comment and I'll see what I can do. *winks* (Although I'll just most likely suggest that you take a cab LOL) FOLLOW US FOR MORE UPDATES! IMPORTANT NOTE: This post may not be 100% accurate.